Mary Akhimien represents clients in a variety of areas, including corporate litigation, commercial litigation, corporate counseling, and business and employment law. She has successfully defended clients before administrative tribunals and in state and federal courts, and has helped negotiate complex settlements. Mary always strives to find creative solutions to legal problems and achieve results that are in the best interests of her clients in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible.
Mary also lectures and writes on corporate law issues and frequently speaks to university students and professional groups about the value of mentoring.
In law school, Mary served as a judicial extern to Chief Justice Ralph J. Cappy of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. During law school, Mary was the Associate Editor of the Journal of Law and Commerce. Mary also studied law for a semester abroad in London, England at the University College Faculty of Laws, University of London. While in London, Mary also competed in the Pace Law School/Gray’s Inn Moot Court Competition and completed a mini-pupillage at Gray’s Inn.
- Doctors Pathology Services, P.A. v. Gerges, M.D.
- Leads School of Technology Practical Nursing Program v. Delaware Board of Nursing
- Gillis v. Dentsply International, Inc.
- Rumanek v. Independent School Management, Inc.
- Anderson v. Local 435 Union, et al.
- Alred v. Eli Lilly and Company
- Currie v. Dentsply International, Inc.
- Akhimien, Mary, “‘Good Cause’ to Throw in the Towel: Recent Case Law Developments Relating to Voluntary Termination of Employment Under Delaware Law” Del. L. Rev. vol. 14:1 (2013), at 74-77.
- Akhimien, Mary, “Top Ten Things Law Students Should Know to Survive and Thrive in the Legal Profession.” Corporate Counsel Women of Color, June 2, 2012.
- Akhimien, Mary (Contributing Author). Delaware Statutory Trusts Manual. 2010 Edition. LexisNexis, 2010. Print.
- Akhimien, Mary, “The Cost of Free Speech in Garcetti’s America.” Delaware Government Legal Quarterly Spring 2010: 4-5.
- Akhimien, Mary, Cimini, Sally Griffith, and Antonelli, Stephen A., “Violence in the Workplace” – A Guide to the Prevention of Violence in the Workplace Pub. No. 5036, published August 2007 Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI).
- Moderator, "Bar Leadership Wired to Add Value," American Bar Association YLD Spring Leadership Conference, Montreal, QC, Canada (2017).
- Moderator, "Five Strategies on How to Build an Internal Roster of Law Firm Clients," Corporate Counsel Women of Color and K&L Gates LLP One-Day Career Strategies Conference, New York, NY (2017).
- Panelist, "Avoid Burn Out, Stress, and Fatigue by Managing Your Billable Hours with Work/Life Balance," Corporate Counsel Women of Color Law Firm Associates Conference, New York, NY (2017).
- Panelist, "Navigating the Choppy Waters of Social Media: A Lawyer's Guide," The 21st Annual Rubenstein-Walsh Seminar on Ethics and Professionalism, Wilmington, DE (2016).
- Speaker, “Deans Workshop: Legal Issues in Private-Independent Schools,” Wilmington, DE (2015).
- Moderator, “Think Long-Term When Exploring Your Career Path Opportunities: From Associate to Senior Attorney – From Senior Attorney to Of Counsel or Partner – to Going In-House,” Corporate Counsel Women of Color and K&L Gates LLP One-Day Career Strategies Conference, New York, New York (2015).
- Speaker, “What Government Employees and Employers Should Know About Sexual Harassment,” Dover, DE (2015).
- Moderator, “Labor and Employment Law Update 2015,” Labor and Employment Law Section of the Delaware State Bar Association (2015).
- Panelist, “What the Technologically Savvy Attorney Needs to Know about Ethics, Confidentiality & Data Privacy,” Richard K. Herrmann Technology Inn of Court (2014).
- Speaker, “Athletic Director’s Workshop: Legal Issues for Athletic Directors,” Stowe, VT (2013)
- Speaker, “The Post-Incorporation Process: Important Steps to Take After Incorporating Your Business,” Incorporating Services, Ltd. Corporate Seminar Series, Washington, D.C. (2013).
- Panelist, “Branding Yourself as an Associate,” Corporate Counsel Women of Color and K&L Gates LLP One-Day Career Strategies Conference, New York, New York (2013).
- Speaker, “Employer’s Guide to Navigating Unemployment Benefits,” Delaware State Bar Association (2013).
- Panelist, “Cloud Computing Key Issues,” The Cloud Pupillage Group, Richard K. Herrmann Technology Inn of Court (2013).
- Speaker, “Employment and School Law for Private School Deans,” Philadelphia, PA, (2012).
- Panelist, “Sources of Electronically Stored Information: What to Discuss with the Client and Opposing Counsel,” Richard K. Herrmann Technology Inn of Court (2012).
- Panelist, “Legal Mobile Computing: Top 10 Blackberry Applications,” Richard K. Herrmann Technology Inn of Court (2011).
- Speaker, “To Be or Not to Be a Delaware Limited Liability Company, That is the Question,” Incorporating Services, Ltd. Corporate Seminar Series, Washington, D.C. (2011).
- Panelist, University of Delaware’s Each One Reach One Mentorship Program: The Value of Mentoring, (2010, 2011).