Connolly Gallagher’s attorneys represent companies, public bodies, and individuals in all manner of appeals both in state and federal courts. We work with clients throughout the entire appellate process, from preserving issues for appeal, to deciding whether to take an appeal, to advocacy in written briefs and at oral argument. Connolly Gallagher works both with clients who wish to appeal decisions in existing litigation and with clients who are seeking independent appellate counsel. The Firm’s attorneys are well-equipped to assist in any way throughout the complex appellate process.
Our attorneys routinely handle appeals from the Delaware Superior Court and the Court of Chancery to the Delaware Supreme Court, and Max Walton, Matt Boyer, and Ryan Newell notably served as counsel for the State of Delaware in the landmark case of New Jersey v. Delaware before the United States Supreme Court. In addition, our experienced Employment Law team assists clients appealing from decisions of administrative boards under the umbrella of the Division of Professional Responsibility, the Board on Professional Responsibility, and other administrative tribunals including the Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Our knowledgeable Government Law team has also represented government bodies and individuals on appeal from numerous administrative boards at both the State and local level, including Boards of Adjustment, Boards of License, Inspection and Review, Planning Boards, Boards of Election, and have handled appeals to the Delaware Coastal Zone Industrial Control Board, the Delaware Public Service Commission, and the Delaware Department of Labor.
Representative Appellate Matters
- Town of Cheswold v. Central Delaware Business Park, -A.2d -, 2018 WL 2748372 (Del. June 9. 2018) (en banc).
- Flowers v. Office of the Governor, C.A. No. N16A-05-004 FWW, 167 A.3d 530 (Del. Super. Ct. 2017)
- Golf Course Assoc., LLC v. New Castle County, C.A. No. 200, 2016 (Del. 2016) (Amicus brief on behalf of the American Planning Association and the Delaware Chapter of the American Planning Association).
- Nichols v. City of Rehoboth Beach, et al., 2015 WL 8751180 (D. Del. Dec. 14, 2015) (currently on appeal to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals).
- Sierra Club v. Delaware Dept. of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, 2015 WL 6747438 (Del. Nov. 5, 2015).
- Matter of Gunn, 122 A.3d 1292 (Del. 2015) (en banc).
- New Castle County v. Pike Creek Recreational Services LLC, 82 A.3d 731 (Del. Ch. 2013), aff’d, 105 A.3d 990 (Table).
- Donnelly v. City of Dover, 2011 WL 2086160 (Del. Super. Ct. Apr. 20, 2011).
- State of New Jersey v. State of Delaware, 552 U.S. 597 (2008).