Aaron Shapiro has been representing and counseling public sector, private, and higher education clients for more than 20 years, with an emphasis on labor relations, collective bargaining, employment law, administrative law matters, and government relations. Prior to joining the firm, Aaron served as the Labor Relations and Employment Practices Administrator for the state of Delaware where he managed an extensive portfolio of labor contracts and employment policies, and counseled several administrations on labor, employment and operational matters. He regularly developed strategy initiatives and programs that prioritized cost containment, measurable outcomes, and achieving long-term sustainable results. Aaron has served as the Chief Negotiator for many contracts, and developed strategy for global collective bargaining efforts covering police officers, firefighters, medical professionals, correctional officers, educators, bus drivers, technical specialists, maintenance employees, and support and service personnel.
Aaron has extensively litigated claims for interest arbitration, wages and benefits, compensable time and compensation standards, contract enforcement, employee accountability, performance standards, drug and alcohol testing, impact bargaining, bargaining unit formation and composition, elections, bargaining unit jurisdiction, scope of bargaining, and unfair labor practice charges. Prior to his service with the State, Aaron worked as the corporate counsel and CEO of a Delaware non-profit behavioral health services agency with a focus on criminal justice diversion and rehabilitation programs.
Aaron earned a BA in Philosophy and Biology at the California State University at Los Angeles, and his JD Doctor cum laude from Widener University School of Law, Delaware. At Widener, Aaron was a member of the Widener Law Symposium Journal and the Moot Court Honor Society, and was honored to win Widener’s moot court competition.
- AFSCME Local 1443A v. Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, ULP No. 15-02-998 (DE PERB, 8/4/15);
- Correctional Officers Association of Delaware v. Delaware Department of Correction, ULP No. 15-02-988 (DE PERB, 6/10/15);
- International Longshoremen’s Association, Local 1694-1 v. Diamond State Port Corporation, ULP No. 14-02-943 (DE PERB, 6/24/15);
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 2270 v. Delaware Administration for Regional Transit, Rep. Pet. 13-11-930 (DE PERB, 4/2/15);
- Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 842 v. Delaware Administration for Regional Transit (AAA Case No. 14 390 00090 12, L. Coburn, 5/19/12);
- United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 27 v. State of Delaware, Family Court (AAA Case No. 14 390 02295 09, J. Parker, 6/24/2010);
- Delaware Merit Employee Unit 2 Coalition (AFSCME, DSEA, LIUNA) v. State of Delaware (DHSS, DOS, DSCYF, DNREC, DDA), BIA 12-09-877 (DE PERB, 04/08/15);
- Delaware State Troopers’ Association v. Delaware Department of Homeland Security, BIA 08-01-612 (DE PERB, 10/20/08).
- Co-Presenter, "Selected Issues at the Intersection of Government and Employment Law,” Delaware State Bar Association (November, 2017).